Simmons PTA: Parents and Teachers Working Together for Student Achievement
"Teaching Makes A World of Difference"
The PTA Mission:
The Mission of the PTA is threefold:
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community and before government agencies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
Parents Make The Difference
Studies prove that as parents get involved in education, student achievement increases for all children. Parent involvement is the active role parents accept in the education of their children and youth. It is more than just attending a meeting - although it can certainly begin there. Three types of involvement are critical in a young person's education:
- Parents as first educators in the home
- Parents as partners with the school
- Parents as advocates for all children
A Parent's Pledge
I know children learn best when families and school work together. As a parent, I pledge to:
- Spend time talking to my child every day
- Praise my child for good work in school and good behavior at home
- Help my child develop self-confidence and self-discipline
- Talk with my child's teacher about how my child is doing in school
- Talk with my child about school work
- Set a regular time and place for school work. During this time there will be no TV, no radio, and no phone calls
- Encourage reading. I will read to my child and I will listen as my child reads to me.
- Make sure my child gets healthy meals, enough sleep and good exercise every day
- Love my child enough to say "NO" when necessary
- Help my child discover the joy that learning and thinking can bring at any age
- Contact Information
What Does the PTA Do?
- Provide opportunities for parents to become involved in their children's education
- Provide opportunities for families to come together at school
- Provide parent education programs to help parents and families with the difficult job of raising children
- Prepare and distribute newsletters and other information to the families of ALL the students of the school
- Conduct active membership drives throughout the school year
- Provide a corps of volunteers to assist in school activities
How Can I Help?
The Simmons PTA works to provide a variety of opportunities throughout the school year for parents to get involved and to enhance student learning. We also provide programs to bring students, parents and staff together for some family fun!
- Back-to-School Celebration
- Boo Hoo Breakfast (1st day of school)
- Copying and distribution
- Education Resource Courier
- Family Fun Nights
- Field Trips
- Grandparent's Day
- Homeroom parents
- Kentucky Kids' Day
- Staff Appreciation
- Snowflake Feast
- 5th Grade Celebration
- ...to name just a few!
The Simmons PTA sponsors two fundraisers each year. The money raised goes directly to support the students of Simmons Elementary.
Saving BoxTops is another way to help Simmons earn needed funds. You can collect BoxTops all year long, and several times during the school year we will have collection dates and give out rewards for the classroom turning in the most. If you have time, please trim the BoxTops, as they have to be neatly cut before we can turn them in. For information on the program and to get a list of qualifying products check out the BoxTops website at www.boxtops4education.com. You can also find special promotions and opportunities to earn bonus BoxTops for our school on the website.
If you would like to comment on anything the PTA is involved with, or if you have any ideas you would like to share, please contact any of the PTA members listed below.
President: Audra Marcum, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President of Membership: Lorie Bailey
Treasurer: Julie Reed
Secretary: Wendy Schofield
Teacher Representative: Mindy Logan, email@example.com
Principal: Tiffany Cook, firstname.lastname@example.org